Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Chat excerpts - Dec 29, 2004

These are excerpts from a web chat I had with my sister Peggy (here in Maine), my brother-in-law David (in Phuket), and my sister Katie (in Phuket). It took place at about 8:00pm on Dec 28th here in Maine ... 8:00am on Dec 29th in Phuket:


Peggy says:
David! how RU?

David says:
shell shocked - in the end did not get to bed until after 2am - was talking to Sam and Max about what we had experienced during the day

<...>


Katie says:
I'll just finish my coffee, shower, and head over to school...
slowly but surely those people able to leave on planes will do so, then it will be concentrating on the ones missing people

David says:
as Katie pointed out at least everyone will have heard of Phuket now

Katie says:
the start of school has been delayed until the 10th and next week the school will run programs (include counselling) for local kids, both Thai and Dulwich ones

Katie says:
yes, funny way for everyone to learn where Phuket is located

David says:
a number of helecopters just went over, we dont often get helecopters but they have been regular interuptions over the past 3 days

Martha says:
Is your water supply okay? The news here is full of concern about disease from lack of water, clean food, etc.

Katie says:
we just really feel so lucky to be alive, together, and untouched

Katie says:
lack of water on Phuket isn't a problem -- it's up north and on the islands -- for instance, yesterday a call went out for food and water for Khao Lak, but then within hours the message was they have plenty, send supplies further to the mainland on the east

Katie says:
carloads of Dulwich staff are driving over to Phang Nga and Krabi today with supplies

David says:
the communication delay is a problem - it looks like by the time we get to hear that help is needed then the problem is already solved

David says:
in Khao Lak yesterday there were piles of bottled water everywhere but no one to drink it

Martha says:
Wow.

<..>

Peggy says:
I'm very glad, David, that you were there
not that Katie couldn't handle it but it's one of those instances where you want your loved ones around you - and good for the boys

Katie says:
yes, I'm glad he was here to be with us...

Peggy says:
how long will/can you stay, David?

David says:
I am glad i took them to Khao Lak, a sobering experience but they have real repect for the power of the sea now

David says:
I will leave tomorrow to return to Vietnam

Peggy says:
wow, can you get out?

David says:
getting out from the airport appears not to be a problem

Peggy says:
you can get out but others can't get in?

David says:
i dont know of a problem of people getting in, the thai government are discouraging anyone from travelling to Phuket who does not need to so there are lots of empty seats on the inbound flights

<...>

David says:
talking of photos its strange I took my camera with me yesterday but thinks were so bad I couldn't bring myself to take any photos, just seemed so disrespectful of all the dead

Martha says:
I can only imagine.

Peggy says:
I don't want to imagine ...

Peggy says:
so how are the boys dealing with it all?

David says:
I talked to them at length last night - they are doing fine.

Peggy says:
so awful .. I was 38 before I saw a dead person (and was proud of that record ...)

Peggy says:
but a lesson that is good ...

Peggy says:
they might not think so now but the experience ...

David says:
i was thinking that before this i had seen 2 dead people, its a bit different now!

Peggy says:
and most of the dead we've seen (at least me) are elderly

David says:
yes its very different walking down lines of dead 4 year olds trying to find one dressed in a swedish football kit

Peggy says:
who can respond after that ... I'd want a glass of wine even if it is 8 AM for you ... must make you kiss your wife & children ...

David says:
yup ... a lot

<...>

Peggy says:
how come Katie is so silent ?

David says:
she is on the phone to the school sorting out some logistics for people there

David says:
there were 300 night before last, we dont know how many last night

Peggy says:
no words ... an experience you won't forget ... and one you shouldn't but ...

Peggy says:
it does make one think how sheltered we Americans are ... even tho it's a natural disaster, we think it won't happen here ...

Peggy says:
60,000 people dead on the news tonight

David says:
I know there has to be a local angle on news stories but Sam pointed out to me the main headline on 2 news web sites last night, BBC "33,000 dead" fox news web site "11 Americans die" - not sure why he was looking at fox news

Katie says:
I'm back.. but really should get in the shower and over to school. I'm feeling guilty sitting here.....

Peggy says:
really, it's so sad that it's only focused on the "tourists" ... but I was glad to hear the 60,000 only in that that will make an impact - it's too large to even fathom ... then the WHO says they think that many could die from diseases afterwards ...


Peggy says:
go take care of others ...

Katie says:
I'll make sure he and the boys wear masks and take gloves if they're going near dead bodies.....

Peggy says:
thank you ...
and keep the emails coming .. if you can ... it does help

Martha says:
I know it sounds lame, but be careful ...and let us know if there is anything we can do from here.

David says:
dont think we will be getting that close, 72 hours in the tropics does not do much to preserve a dead body




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?